Sunday, September 6, 2009

Fred's Son

My friend Fred has spent more than half of his life in prison and was on death row for seven years, and is currently serving a life sentence at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution. We met two years ago when I was going to Riverbend weekly and have corresponded ever since. I've previously blogged about my classes there. Anyway, I just received a letter from him that I want to share. As a friend of Fred's, my heart aches. Please keep Fred in your prayers.

". . . I am sorry for the delay but things have not been pleasant for me. There is a force greater than I and the energy from that force keeps me going. My oldest son was murdered. While visiting his aunt who lives next door to his grandmother, the unthinkable happened. An older guy - 56 years old, was visiting his aunt as well. This guy visited quite often. His aunt and the guy sats around the house and drink alcohol as a hobby. My son and this guy got into a verbal confrontation. Outdoors right in front of the house. My son decided to walk away and went back inside. The guy decides to leave. He goes home and return at the door with a knock. My son's aunt answers the door and the guy announced, "I come back to kill him." He is referring to my son. He walks over to the sofa where my son is sitting. He pulls out a 38 revolver and points it at my 19 year old first born. My son gets up off the sofa and slowly backs away. My son repeatedly ask the guy, "so man you're gonna kill me??" Before he could utter it again, the guy pulls the trigger and shoots him in the chest killing him as the bullet goes through his lungs. The guy sats down on a stool near the door and sats the gun down on a coffee table. He tells his aunt, uncle who was also present in the home that, "I came to do what I planned to do. He's dead and won't be coming back. You all can do whatever you want with me." No one made a move and my son's uncle preceded to continue drinking. The guy is currently being held on murder charges in the state of Mississippi... I am deeply sad, hurting and feel helpless... Kate my friend, you stay strong and I am here for you. When you feel like the world is against you remember that God is always with you."

No comments: