Wednesday, February 13, 2008

ask cashier for details

Two months after I moved to Tennessee, Angela came to Nashville and the two of us went on a road trip heading south. About forty miles outside of Nashville, Angela and I stopped to get some gas. As we approached the Flying J, Angela pointed out a sign prominently placed above the door: "The terrorist threat for today is yellow. Ask cashier for details." Like a good American, I do what I am told, because I love freedom.

After all, I moved from Washington, DC our nation’s capital, and I will never forget watching the Pentagon burn for two weeks after 9/11. If they are monitoring the terrorist threat many years later in Tennessee – something must be up.


While paying with American currency for the package of Swedish fish and the bottle of French spring water, I said, "So, I am interested in getting the details. The sign outside said that I should ask you for details about the terrorist threat. Is everything ok?"

The cashier seemed caught off guard and replied, "I don't know."

I asked, “Is that sign posted for the benefit of truck drivers en route? Like, is it a heads-up?"

The truck driver in a few people in line behind me piped up. "That sign is for us all," (que National Anthem), “that sign is for anyone who walks into the Flying J."

“Ok, well I guess that’s why I am asking for the details. It says to ask for details,” I said.

"It helps us stay aware," the truck driver said, nodding with an aura of pride "it helps you stay aware."

Angela joined the line to purchase her Elvis mug, and post cards. Upon hearing the scuffle, she approached me with a nervous giggle and asked that I join her in the back of the line, curious as to what in the world I was getting myself into, I told her, "I was just asking for the details!"

Approaching the front of the line again a few minutes later, I turned to the cashier and asked, "So, how often does the sign get changed?"

Like an honest patriot she leaned over the counter as if to share a secret, "To tell you the truth, I have been here three months, and that sign- it ain't changed once."

I pressed on, "Do you think if Iran or North Korea are about to nuke us, the details - - whatever they are - - will change and the color level will also be changed to maybe orange? Or red?”

Irritated, and before wishing me farewell, the cashier pivoted toward me in a very soldier like manner and said, “Look, all I know, is--- yellow, is good. It's always been yellow here.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude! I go to the Flying J all the time and have never asked. Is it the one outside of Clarksville at the Hopkinsville exit? :)